Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Move -- Arriving

As we drove out of Evansville, Indiana onto the Pennyrile Parkway and then on to the WK Parkway, it brought back vivid memories of a young college girl who drove this same path many a time on her return to campus from visiting home.  I had always loved this drive and tonight was no different.  It was a beautiful evening full of interesting clouds in the distance that looked as if could shower down at any given second.  Yet as we got closer, they proved otherwise.  

So we drove west into a sunset that was streaming through overcast clouds...two hours from beginning our new life.

We finally pulled onto Old Farm Road with a few visible rays of dusk to spare and little legs jumped out of our rig before I had a chance to put it into park.  Clamoring down the sidewalk, they ran to greet cousins who were eager to show them their new bedrooms.

I walked in and felt like I was on a version of Extreme Makeover.  For as our children and I had spent the day with my family celebrating my dad's birthday, Eric--along with my sister- and brother-in-law, and Dean--had unloaded trucks, put together beds and unpacked boxes.  Not only that, several Paduckians had showed up over the day to get in on the action...Our children's new cross country coach--Coach Durfee--showed up with a friend and a team member.  David and Beth--friends from way back.  A board member and his wife, Rodney and Debbie--whom I've labeled the king and queen of hospitality.  Justin and Erin, our cousins--but, more importantly, dear friends.  Coach Durfee also came loaded with a delicious dinner that his wife Vanessa had cooked.  Michelle and Debi arrived late afternoon from Louisville with our furry Murray and one of our vehicles. 

Our sweet Father above rained down hands full of service, welcome and warmth to lovingly embrace us into our new life.  Supernaturally arranged and exceedingly gracious was this gift provided to our family. 

My sister in law, Heather, had the task for the day of being me--directing movers to put furniture where it should go.  There is no one I would trust more to do this.  No one.  How grateful I am she was there to 'wo-man' the crew ;) !  A woman's touch in the home goes a long way.  Heather, Debbie, Beth and Erin spent the afternoon lining the kitchen cabinets with shelf liner and unpacking the kitchen.  When I walked in that evening, it was unpacked and fully functioning.  Amazing. 

That night I was comforted by having Heather, Michelle and Debi there to help set up our house.  I was comforted by the sound of my niece and nephew running around the house with our children.  It makes me smile that I can always think back to our first night in Paducah on Old Farm Road and see their faces.

Michelle and Debi stayed through most the day on Monday, working at record breaking speeds.  Michelle put up shelves and began transforming our garage before I could blink my eyes.  Debi lined bathroom cabinets; Heather unpacked every box in sight.  I walked around from spot to spot and tried to be useful.  I am not sure how much work I really did.  It was kind of like an out-of-the-body experience.  Not that I've ever had one, mind you (in case some eyebrows just shot up).

Monday evening a new found Paduckian friend--Leigh--offered to come by and pick up Joshua, Sophie and I and take us to the middle school registration (while the rest of the crew went to the elementary registration).  Her daughter and Sophie became fast friends.  Since her daughter runs cross country, Leigh brought our kids home from practice that first week.  All I can say is, what a gift.  Her family and their hospitality have had such an impact on our family's transition.

Throughout the week we were welcomed night after night with dinner for our family from sweet FCA families.  It was a huge blessing to be able to unpack and not worry about fixing dinner.  Another gift from Him.

Thursday (four days after we moved in) was the first day of public school ever in the history of our little family.  For the past eight years, we have homeschooled.  Wow, is all I can say.  We move to a new city, start a new job and start a whole different way of schooling--all in the same week.  It should have been overwhelmingly overwhelming.  Yet, it was and continues to be overwhelmingly peaceful, overwhelmingly 'working' and overwhelmingly all-right.  Amazing how an overwhelming dose of God's Spirit can bring order to chaos.  Amazing.

Thursday evening, my mother-in-law, known as Mimi, arrived with my brother-in-law, Trent.  The next morning, Heather, Trent and their little peeps left to pick up their oldest from a camp in Missouri.  We said 

              'see ya real soon'

And as I remembered the Louisville memories of best friend-cousins playing together almost daily, a piece of my heart backed out of the driveway with them.  

As they drove away, I thought about the past week and how much their loving arms had been a part of it.

I will never forget the week they sacrificed to help us get our home set up.  I will never forget.  Makes my heart smile right big.

But Mimi was here to soften the blow of the bye.  She stayed with us through the week-end, putting her finishing touches on the work Heather and I had done throughout the week. We had a sweet weekend of watching Olympics, unpacking, organizing and decorating.  

            One more part of the gift from above. 

Before we knew it, her time was up and we were once again out in the driveway saying

                  'see ya real soon',

And in a blink of an eye, gone were Louisville family and friends that had bridged our transition.  

Now it was just us.  

Yet, it was time.  It was time for it to just be us.  Besides, we weren't really alone.  

He was with us.  He had always been there, from the very beginning.  He would never leave us nor forsake us.  So we grabbed His hand, walked into our Old Farm Road home and began our new life.





       

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm a mushy mess right now.. It's all too much. Love you

    ReplyDelete